Everyone needs to know how to make OR have a good butter icing recipe. It’s the basis for an unlimited flavour of icings and filling in cakes.
Everyone loves my butter icing!
You can easily adapt this icing recipe to dairy free, as we do by using nuttelex and coconut cream or non-dairy milk. If you use milk or non-dairy milk start with 1 Tablespoon first as it tends to make the icing thinner.
- 125g unsalted butter (softened) or nuttelex
- 350g pure icing sugar
- 2 Tablespoons thickened cream (or coconut cream or 1 Tablespoon milk or non-dairy milk)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla powder
- Using a mix master or hand beater beat all ingredients together til light, creamy and fluffy.
- Pipe onto cup cakes using a piping bag or ziplock bag or use a butter knife to spread a thick dollop on top of each cup cake*.
To top or not to top?
Here are some of the toppings we do.
Shaved dark chocolate would have to be my kids absolute favourite!
Naturally coloured sprinkles on top of the butter icing sprinkled when the icing has been piped onto the cup cakes. Here is a photo of Bella’s adding sprinkles to cupcakes she made and iced.
At Christmas time we buy natural coloured gluten free candy canes which I put into 2 zip lock bags then crush with a rolling pin then sprinkle on top of the icing.
Enjoy, til my next recipe.