Oh how excited am I about these scones! We have eaten SO many of them, and they are incredibly easy to make. But, it really comes down the flour, so if you use pre-packaged gluten free flours you might have to adjust the quantity of the flour used. My mum uses the white wings gluten free flours, and they work fine. My sister however has used the Bob’s Red Mill pre-mixed flour and the scones didn’t work. Trust me….invest the time in making your own flour blends. See my latest blend and the blend that I used in this recipe by clicking here.
You can substitute the lemon essential oil in this recipe for the rind of a whole lemon, however, I love the subtle flavour of the lemon essential oil. Remember, I use dōTERRA essential oils. The lemon essential oil can be ingested, so don’t think oh lemon essential oil and race to the shops to buy one, as it may actually be harmful to ingest. If you don’t own any dōTERRA essential oils then this is one of the most versatile oils, click here to go to my secure web selling page to buy this amazing oil. To save 25% off the retail price, open a wholesale account by clicking on the join & save button.
I use a cookie cutter that is approximately 5cm in diameter, so the scones a fairly small. Using this cookie cutter this recipe makes around 17 scones, however, if you use a glass cup or larger cookie cutter it will obviously make less scones.
I hope you enjoy the sweet tangy flavour of these scones. They taste divine by themselves, or with a little butter or nuttelex or even with jam and cream.
Date and Lemon Infused Scones
- Preheat oven to 200°C (fan forced).
- Remove pits from dates and roughly chop.
- Sift flour, baking powder and xanthan gum into a large mixing bowl.
- Melt butter/nuttelex then add to milk then mix egg into milk/butter mix.
- Add liquid to flours and mix well with a mixing spoon. It should be sticky.
- On a floured bench (or greaseproof paper with flour) pat down mix til it's at the desired thickness (usually around 2-3cm), cut with a cookie cutter or glass cup and put onto greaseproof pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly then eat.
Enjoy! Til next time…xoxo