We love pumpkin soup in our house!
Over the years I have made many versions, but this is our favourite. I love the flavour of roasting the vegetables first, it just gives it that little extra deliciousness to the soup. Soups are great on a cold day, but also a fabulous way to use up those vegetables that have been sitting a little longer in the fridge and either need to be used or thrown into the compost bin. I usually make it in batches so that I can freeze some so that we always have a batch of soup we can defrost and reheat. We have this roast pumpkin soup for our lunches and dinners, but I have even served it for a dinner party as an entree in smaller quantities so our guests also enjoyed a main meal. It’s a hearty and filling soup. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family.
To serve, we add have a few variations we like:
- A few splashes of coconut milk
- A spoon of coconut cream
- A blob of cream (lactose free if you cannot tolerate lactose)
- A spoon of sour cream (lactose free if you cannot tolerate lactose)
- Dried chilli flakes
Roast Pumpkin Soup
- 900g Sweet Potato (peeled)
- 1.8kg Pumpkin (skin and seeds removed)*
- 1 Whole Garlic
- 2 sprigs Thyme
- 2-4 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 Litre Chicken Bone Broth (or stock)**
- Sprinkle of Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C on fan forced.
- Peel and chop sweet potato and pumpkin.
- Put sweet potato and pumpkin onto a baking tray.
- Break up garlic into cloves (don't remove the skin) and put onto baking tray with thyme, sweet potato and pumpkin.
- Toss coconut oil threw cut sweet potato, pumpkin, garlic cloves and thyme then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast vegetables for 50 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from oven and allow the garlic to cool so that you can remove the skin.
- Put the roast vegetables into a large saucepan with chicken bone broth (or stock) and bring to the boil.
- Blend til smooth then serve
** If you like your soup thinner just add more stock/bone broth.
If you want to make this recipe vegan simply use a vegan chicken stock or vegetable stock.
Til next time, enjoy xoxo