Grassfed gelatin is purportedly very good for gut health, or so I read as I predominantly follow a paleo way of eating. You can however substitute it with Agar Agar if you don’t like using gelatin. I have many flavour combinations of these jelly delights, as I have played around with making them for the past few years. So here is another favourite of mine….strawberry infused with lemon essential oil.
Remember, I use dōTERRA essential oils. The lemon essential oil can be ingested. Do not buy a lemon essential oil from the shops and use it, as it may actually be harmful to ingest. If you want to buy a bottle of dōTERRA lemon essential oil then click here to go to my secure web selling page. To save 25% off the retail price, open a wholesale account by clicking on the join & save button.
Of course you can put in a squeeze or too to your desired flavour of fresh lemon juice, and if you like your jellies on the sweeter side then add your sweetener of choice. I like making these ones with no sweetener but sometimes for my kids I pop in 2 tablespoons of raw honey, as they prefer the sweeter version.
I often make jellies and leave them overnight.
The trick with this jelly version is not to overcook the strawberry liquid otherwise you lose that delicious strawberry flavour, so I usually defrost the frozen strawberries then make the jelly. I am only warming the strawberry liquid, not boiling it. If you don’t like the seeds in the strawberries you can strain the liquid as well. We don’t mind the seeds in the jelly so I never strain it.
Strawberry & Lemon Delight
- 350g Frozen Organic Strawberries (or non-organic) defrosted
- 500ml Water
- 1 drop of doTERRA Lemon Essential Oil*
- 4 Tablespoons Grass Fed Gelatin OR Agar Agar
- Line a small slice tin with al-foil.
- Add defrosted strawberries and water to a blender and mix til well combined and smooth.
- Pour strawberry/water into a saucepan and warm the liquid (if you boil you will lose the strawberry flavour).
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in grass fed gelatin (or agar agar).
- Stir through 1 drop of doTERRA Lemon Essential Oil
- Gently pour liquid into lined slice tin.
- Refrigerate til set (it takes about 2 hours but you can leave overnight).
- Once set, turn out set jelly onto a chop into desired size squares (or use small cookie cutters**).
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Til my next recipe, enjoy xoxo