I can’t share with you my stewed cherry recipe without making cherry ice cream particularly when my dad loves eating stewed cherries with ice cream, so why not combine the two of them?
We tried making just plain cherry ice cream, and everyone loved it (so you can easily adapt the below recipe to leave out the coconut) but when I added a little bit of desiccated coconut it was agreed that this was the flavour combination I had to share with you all.
You could say I took inspiration to add coconut from a cherry ripe but it’s not a cherry ripe without chocolate…hint hint…another flavour in a future post.
I hope you enjoy this flavour combination as much as my dad does. It’s simply one of his favourites (although I have mentioned before he has LOTS of favourites).
Cherry Rough Ice Cream
- 1 x 395ml tin of condensed milk (full fat or skim milk)
- 1 x 300ml cream (we use A2 or Dairy Farmers full fat cream)
- 1 cup Stewed Cherries (either whole or blended)*
- ⅓ cup desiccated coconut**
- Blend cherries til roughly chopped in a blender or food processor.*
- Whip cream either using a hand beater or mix master until it is stiff peaks.
- Add condensed milk and blended cherries and coconut.
- Lightly mix til the condensed milk with cherries and coconut have combined with the cream.
- Pour into a square or rectangular dish that you can put into the freezer.
- Put a lid on the dish (or cover with plastic and al-foil).
- Freeze overnight.
- Serve straight from the freezer.
** I use Absolute Organic Desiccated Coconut as it has no nasties added.
Stay tuned for my next recipe.