I have fond memories of making this when I was a teenager, however, I’m sure I used to put in a few other ingredients, but we couldn’t find the original recipe.
This is a great lunch box treat for not only kids but adults as well. It freezes well, so you can make it in advance and freeze individual portion sizes. For my kids, I pop it into their lunchboxes frozen and by the time they have recess it’s defrosted and still super crunchy.
Honey Bubble Slice
- 125g butter/nuttelex
- ½ cup sugar (I use organic raw caster sugar)
- 4 Tablespoons honey (I use raw honey)
- 4 cups gluten free rice bubbles
- ¼ cup sesame seeds (black or white or a combination of both)*
- 1 cup desiccated coconut (we use Absolute Organic as its preservative free)
- Prepare a slice tin with baking paper.
- In a saucepan, add butter/nuttelex, sugar and honey.
- Over a high heat melt the butter/nuttelex, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine rice bubbles, sesame seeds and desiccated coconut.
- Add hot butter/nuttelex mix to dry ingredients and work quickly as it sets quickly to mix together.
- Pour into slice tin and press down with the back of the mixing spoon or spatula.
- Allow it to cool completely and set (just leave it on the table/bench).
- When its set cut into desired sizes.
When cutting it’s very crumbly around the edges and some pieces may break so use a large knife. Keep the crumbs and broken pieces in a jar and have it as your cereal.
I hope you enjoy making and eating this slice as much as my family.
Til next time…enjoy!